It's the year-end question repeated at water coolers around the world: What are you doing for New Year's Eve? Sure, you could head to your favorite four-star restaurant or slap on a glittery paper headdress and toot your noisemaker at a club. But if you're looking to ring in the new year in an original, more intimate way, consider the following New Year's Eve party scenario. Add a few friends, pop champagne corks and celebrate as the clock strikes midnight.
Avoid the whole dinner party and designated driver thing by staging a grown-up slumber party that starts after dinner. This is a great party for girlfriends or for a few couples you love spending time with.
- Create a theme for the evening. Think classic movies or poker night.
- Determine how many people you can invite by assessing your accommodations. If additional bedding is needed, break out blow-up mattresses.
- Advise guests to bring PJs and hold off on dessert. Also, if your guest list is sports inclined, make it clear that football will be on the morning breakfast menu.
- Make the start time around 9pm so friends can have an early dinner elsewhere and still show up with enough energy for some fun.
- Serve a buffet of mini desserts such as truffles, tiny fruit tarts, small cookies and one-bite lemon bars. Include a sweeter sparkling wine as well as regular and decaf coffee.
- Create a bedtime gift bag for each guest that includes soap, a toothbrush, mini toothpaste and some slippers.
- Stock up on items for an easy and light breakfast: scrambled eggs, fresh fruit, pastries and coffee.
- Encourage friends to change into their fun pajamas the minute they arrive.