Pages

Search This Blog

Sunday, January 27, 2008

My Weekend!

This weekend was something that went by too fast. As you may have read in my other post, my cousin Jessica passed away Tuesday and we had funeral services for her Saturday. The viewing was Friday evening.

It was amazing to see all of the family, friends and supporters there. The place was full. It's amazing to see how many lives Jessica touched. Saturday's funeral was preached by Pastor Jerry Stewart of Stockbridge Assembly of God. He knew Jessica and my family VERY well because of the year's we attending his church. Many of my family members still go there. Anyway, he did a great job, so did Steven, the Youth Pastor. They both had wonderful things to say about her and all of the statements were very true! Sharon had 3 songs played at the funeral and they were all awesome. 1. Josh Grobin, You Raise Me Up. 2. I don't know who sings it but it was an old-fashioned Christian song that Jessica LOVED! Very beautiful song about Jesus and the crucifixion . 3. The Verve, Bittersweet Symphony.

It was very hard to see Jessica's body laying there Friday night and Saturday. I think I did an alright job of containing myself. It's when I'm driving or laying in bed that I think about how much I really miss her, ya know? Friday night I just cried because I began to think about who I'm going to play cards with at the family reunion. Who am I going to talk to on the phone during the day while I'm at home with JD. Who am I going to call when I'm out driving around doing Avon deliveries? Lots of questions .... *Sigh*

I know everyone in my family will have a tough time over coming this. As I said before, we've never lost a family member before. This was the first grandchild to die, the first funeral my grandmother had to attend of someone in her immediate family. I say that because she has 8 children and tons of grandkids. Very sad times!

I find myself being reminded of Jessica in many things I've done this weekend. I keep trying to laugh about the good times! That's all we had was good times!! Never a dull moment in the presence of Jessica!

I've also noticed the power of love this weekend. As everyone knows there is a Memorial Fund set up at all Bank of America locations in the name of Jessica Danielle Stewart. Everyone seems to know that she wasn't able to get life insurance because of her heart condition and therefore, they are being generous with their money with Sharon! A lot of friends and family were able to help give to her this weekend. That's the power of love.

Well, anyways, today is Sunday! We got up and went to church at Avalon. We were 15 minutes late. haha, honestly, JD wouldn't get up! He went to my Moms house while we went to church. He's kinda not feeling good and we didn't want to put him in the nursery. After church we went back to my Mom's house and had hamburgers and fries. There's nothing better than homemade burgers! YUM! We had a great time over there.

Right before I left, Sharon called. She had to go pick up the flowers from the funeral home today. Yes, you read that right, she had to go pick them up! To try and save some money, $150!, she went and got them. Isn't that screwed up? The funeral home charges for that??? Mama asked her, why didn't we just bring them home yesterday but she said she didn't want to have to deal with that too. Sharon said tonight is going to be hard for her, it'll be the first night she's been alone since Tuesday. She'll be sleeping alone. Some of my aunts and cousins have been staying with her. Now, it's just Jacob (son) and Justin (Jessica's fiance) over there.

Well, I'm heading to bed. I've typed a good bit tonight. There's so much more to say but I'm going to hush for now.

1 comment:

Shalene said...

Hi Kaprice,
You'll find yourself asking yourself those same questions for awhile, I'm sad to say. Though after awhile, the pain won't be so bad. I remember a couple days after my mother's death, I had to go to the store for my step dad to buy toilet paper for him, and I started to look at the bulk packages, because that was what my mom had always bought, and then it hit me that it was only him now, and he didn't need that much toilet paper. The grief hit me so hard, I sobbed right there in the aisle. Thankfully, the facial tissue was right there too, because I had one soggy face!!! I can smile about it now though. It still hurts a little, but as trite as this may sound, the pain does ease after awhile. The first year will be hardest, but after that, it REALLY DOES get easier. My prayers are with you, and I pray blessings over you and your family during your time of sorrow. In Him...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...